Scale

Hi !
Looking throught the listings this week, the topic "scale" can be translated in a variety of ways - musical scales, bathrooms scales etc !....for my variation of the theme I'm joining in in with the fishy metaphor, in the fact that fish have scales !
However, the other thought I had was that in Photoshop, in order to "size" or "scale" something you have to use the operation titled "transform" in the edit menu.......to transform also means to change something, to make it different, ......and I guess that the subject scale, really means for us to study the contrasts from small to large, to look at things which are seen from a different perspective etc......and if I get time, I'll get around to illustrating that one, but for now as per usual I'm twisting it bit ! literally !....

....so anyway, here are a few images that illustrate how I developed or "transformed" / "scaled up" one of my watercolour studies into a brooch design........

The original watercolour - approx 21cm x 30cm ish...


Scanned into photoshop and then the distort - twirl filter applied ! this gave me the inspiration for the brooch shape........

The brooch under construction

For the brooch design, I did more drawing to re define and simplify the imagery. The metal (silver) was cut, engraved out, and then into a base coat of enamel the painting began again.

I also decided to change the fish colour and add fine gold highlights ! (artistic license and all that ! )...so after a few more firings in the kiln here it is....

The finished piece !

Size approx 3.5cm x 3.5cm

1 comment:

studio lolo said...

This is beautiful Ruth! I really enjoyed seeing the process. Very impressive!